SouthCoast Economic Development Investments
Fall River, MA—January 7, 2022—Mayflower Wind, the developer of an offshore wind project located in deep waters far off the coast of Massachusetts will host a free virtual open house on Thursday, January 27 from 6:30 – 7:30 p.m. to provide information about its project and economic development investments for SouthCoast communities. Mayflower Wind was recently awarded 400 megawatts in Massachusetts’ latest offshore wind energy procurement and the win is accompanied by an economic development package that includes commitments to spend up to $42 million.
Combined with its first award, Mayflower Wind is looking forward to delivering 1200 MW of low-cost renewable energy to Massachusetts residents and businesses and is committed to investing in local communities and supporting economic development across the state’s SouthCoast.
The second in a series of virtual public forums, The Future of Clean Energy is Here, Mayflower Wind will present specific initiatives including:
- Education, Training and Workforce Development: Employment and training opportunities at every level of the offshore wind industry – from turbine installation, operation and maintenance to project management –will help to equip tomorrow’s offshore wind workers, especially for the benefit of local communities, including Native Americans, women, minorities, veterans, and low-income populations.
- Supply Chain: Opportunities for qualified local and regional contractors and suppliers to provide goods and services and play a role in the industry.
- Diversity, Equity and Inclusion: Creating opportunities for all members of the community to have a role in the offshore wind industry.
- Applied Research and Innovation: Investments in entrepreneurial initiatives that spur new technologies, services, and businesses as part of a regional Blue Economy approach
- Ports and Supporting Infrastructure: Mayflower Wind will develop its operations and maintenance port at the Borden & Remington site in Fall River, MA and run its crews out of New Bedford, MA among other initiatives.
- Low-Income Ratepayer Reductions: Mayflower Wind will support low-income customers through strategic electrification initiatives.
Mayflower Wind’s Will Cotta, Supply Chain Manager; Christopher Hardy, External Outreach Manager; Kelsey Perry, Community Liaison Officer; and Dugan Becker, Communications Assistant will host the presentation and Q&A session via Zoom. All are welcome to participate in this FREE event.
“Fall River and New Bedford are the anchors of our SouthCoast activity,” said Daniel Hubbard, Director of External Affairs & General Counsel. “We encourage everyone to attend this event to learn more on how local communities will benefit from the offshore wind industry with well-paying jobs and community investments.”
Mayflower Wind has the potential to generate over 2,000 megawatts of clean renewable energy. The project expects to begin generating power by the mid-2020’s.
The January 2022 virtual open house continues the company’s series of free online events to provide project information and a discussion forum for community members and others. Sign up for project updates.
About Mayflower Wind
Mayflower Wind, a 50/50 joint venture between Shell New Energies US LLC and Ocean Winds, is developing an offshore wind lease area with the potential to supply over 2,400 megawatts (MW) of low-cost clean energy to electricity customers in New England. Mayflower Wind is committed to zero harm, innovation, and industry development, and investing in our local communities. For more information visit www.southcoastwind.com.